La Leche League is an international, nonprofit, nonsectarian organization dedicated to providing education, information, support and encouragement to those interested in feeding their babies human milk. Whether you are breastfeeding, chestfeeding, feeding donor milk, or anywhere in between, we are here to support you.
Our Mission is to help mothers worldwide to breastfeed through mother to mother support, encouragement, information, and education, and to promote a better understanding of breastfeeding as an important element in the healthy development of the baby and mother.
The basic philosophy of La Leche League is summarized in the following statements:
- Parenting through breastfeeding is the most natural and effective way of understanding and satisfying the needs of the baby.
- In the early years the baby has an intense need to be with his mother which is as basic as his need for food.
- Mother and baby need to be together early and often to establish a satisfying relationship and an adequate milk supply.
- Human milk is the natural food for babies, uniquely meeting their changing needs.
- For the healthy, full-term baby, breast milk is the only food necessary until the baby shows signs of needing solids, about the middle of the first year after birth.
- Ideally the breastfeeding relationship will continue until the baby outgrows the need.
- Alert and active participation by the mother in childbirth is a help in getting breastfeeding off to a good start.
- Breastfeeding is enhanced and the nursing couple sustained by the loving support, help, and companionship of the baby’s father. A father’s unique relationship with his baby is an important element in the child’s development from early infancy.
- Good nutrition means eating a well-balanced and varied diet of foods in as close to their natural state as possible.
- From infancy on, children need loving guidance which reflects acceptance of their capabilities and sensitivity to their feelings.
The ideals and principles of mothering which are the foundation of LLLI beliefs are further developed in THE WOMANLY ART OF BREASTFEEDING, the most comprehensive handbook on breastfeeding and parenting ever published. It has provided needed answers to three generations of nursing mothers on every aspect of breastfeeding.
LLL Leaders in the group are fellow parents and volunteers and are accredited through La Leche League International. We provide help in person at our monthly meetings or weekly park days. Leaders also are able to help via phone, email, or Facebook. Please contact us, our support is always free! To find out how you can support your local La Leche League click here.